Onsen no Hairi Kata : Way of Entering an Onsen
If you intend on using an Onsen whilst in Niseko on you Japan ski holiday we recommend you have a quick read of the our Onsen etiquette below. Onsens are great way to relax after a big day on the hill or just to sit back and reflect. They are also a great way to get an insight into Japanese culture.
- Buy your ticket from the ticket machine or front desk.
- Take of your shoes, this is sometimes done before buying your ticket at some Onsens.
- Usually there is a blue curtain for men and red for women at the entrance of the changing room. This is true even if the onsen is mixed.
- Otherwise look for the man or women kanji as illustrated in the picture to the right.
- Store any valuable in the lockers or at the front desk.
- Fully undress leaving everything in the baskets provided and only take a small modesty towel to the wash room and Onsen. If you don't have a modesty towel you can usually buy them or rent them at the front desk.
- Enter the wash room and thoroughly wash yourself by sitting at one of the shower units.
- After washing thoroughly you can now enjoy the Onsen.